Thursday, February 8, 2007

Week 6, #14 Technorati






Learning 2.0 search in Blog Posts results:

1. In quotes, fared a bit better than without
2. Technorati sees the term as both a phrase search and as keyword; thus picking up irrelevant hits such as just the number 2.

Learning 2.0 search in Tags results:

1. Relevancy seems good with or without quotes. Not sure if people are tagging enough to make this type of search useful.

Learning 2.0 search in Blog Directory results:

1. Again, a directed and smaller number of hits as one would expect.


I think my observations are applicable to other searches done in Technorati. Tagging is a great idea and I like the informal term "tagging" over such library geek terms such as, "subject headings" or "controlled vocabulary" or "taxonomy" or "keyword" etc. Tagging is everyday usage by anyone and more likely to be a good description. However, there is no control and that's when we run into problems, n'est-ce pas. I think these various descriptors should be used together or as we learn in libraryland, the idea of multiple access points -- there's more than one way to learn, to find, to search, etc. I still cringe when I think of LC using "cookery" Oh pleeeeaase.
Lastly, I registered my personal blog on Technorati. I wasn't sure if I wanted to add a search feature and other options.

1 comment:

Minerva said...

Have you claimed your blog on Technorati? Or checked to see its ranking compared to other blogs? I recommend it.