Friday, February 2, 2007

Week 4, #8 RSS and Bloglines

I created a bloglines account about a year ago. I appreciate RSS feeds much as when we used Push Technology in the past or relied on email alerts about new content. I've unsubscribed to some feeds because I became overwhelmed. Currently I have 99 feeds including a few from the SJ Merc (Action Line and Restaurant reviews).

I like that SJSU, Stanford and The Spartan Daily have feeds. The Stanford feeds alert me to lectures, concerts, and theatre events. Interested, then, go to its website to subscribe.

Oh, I did make my bloglines public and then reverted back to private blogroll. I went through the exercise because a participant was having difficulty with the optional exercise. The SHARE tab is in a different place now.

I am keen on getting libraries to use RSS and blogs to market new materials and events. Having that information on a website or in a calendar helps but I think we should explore other avenues and open up channels to get the word out using mutiple communication tools.

I guess I should also explore Google Reader to see whether it is better.

No comments: