Thursday, February 22, 2007

Week 9, #22 eBooks

1. Okay people, I'm sending an email to our ebooks team asking them to write some descriptive content for the various electronic collections we have. I have no idea what the differences are between Safari, eBooks, etc and between the two libraries. Uh, does Overdrive sound like downloadable CD music to you? I'm not a big fan of eBooks, at least not yet. I still prefer the print in my hands. Yet, I don't like using my Printer unless I must. Kinda like people who like ketchup but not tomatoes. Still, I'm pleased that we have this resource available; it would be nice to see statistics to know if our public finds it invaluable.

2. World eBook Fair. cool. I don't like the home page. Too busy. Don't know what to focus on and how to get started. So I popped over to Gutenberg. I remember when this was all text (about 15 years ago?) but still a revolution practically! Anyway, 20,000 free books in the online catalog. I really wish Gutenberg would blow the Google Book thing out of the water.... I liked reading about real life examples of what people did with ebooks.

2 comments:

Virtual Services Team said...

I too am not exactly crazy about reading a book online, but they can be hugely useful. For example, the public library has access to a database of California Mission books. When every fourth grader in San Jose wants a book on Mission Santa Clara, the ebooks are a great option!

Virtual Services Team said...

More real life... there are audio ebooks that can be found in the library catalogs. One of my neighbors told me she was thrilled with the Pimsleur Learn-a-Language downloadable audiobooks.