Thursday, February 8, 2007

Week 6, #15 Perspectives

What does Library 2.0 mean to me?

Oooh, I get to be philosophical. Ooooh. I see it to mean emerging tools and concepts applicable to the delivery of library services or for the library environment. These tools and ideas may or may not come from elsewhere, and they may or may not be technologoical in nature. The real significance lies in any organization realizing that things are changing or things need to change and to face such changes. You don't always have to embrace or adopt or adapt to change but you do need to recognize it and deal with it in one way or another. I think Library 2.0 is also about exploration and opening one's mind -- sure that can be said of many other things - I think though this is fundamental to this concept.

I wonder if we will get away from 1.0, 2.0 or First, Second and Third Generation. I do not want to be 60 and we're now talking about Library 5.0. or Star Trek, the next next generation. I want it to be so ingrained in our social fabric that we do away with nth generations etc.

I appreciate what was stated in the Wiki page about Library 2.0 I'd like to see more content added to it, though. I also love the idea of wikis though recent debate suggests that content is not always accurate and too many students rely on this tool as a tool for research.

1 comment: