Thursday, February 8, 2007

Week 7, #16 Wiki Wiki Wiki

I'm a member of CARL N IT and write its blog. Last year (August 2006), we hosted a workshop on RSS, podcasts, IM and wikis. Learning about wikis was fabulous.

I love the Library Success wiki. We are considering its uses for our library. I think relying on a wiki for documentation is a super idea. I also see it as a wonderful tool to use especially because of the content editing abilities and some restricted access (administrator rights). Having an Intranet was a good idea and it has its place for certain types of storage or other functions. The advantage of blogs and wikis is user access - no waiting on one's IT or web team to post something or respond to a web edit request. That's no slight on them. I'm talking about work flow process. It frees up your web team to work on other critical matters and allows you to do things timely as well as to feel that you have more stake or ownership or say in library related stuff.